Some of the best locations to find gold can be found in Western Australia. Western Australia is known for its rich gold mining history, and there are several regions within the state where using metal detectors to find gold can be productive. However, it’s important to note that gold prospecting regulations and access to certain areas may vary, so be sure to obtain the necessary permits and follow local laws before conducting any prospecting activities.
Gold prospecting using a metal detector around Kalgoorlie-Boulder in Western Australia can be quite rewarding, and there are several areas with a history of gold discoveries that may be suitable for this activity. Here are some of the best locations to consider for gold prospecting with a metal detector:
A. BEST LOCATIONS TO FIND GOLD
1.Golden Mile, Kalgoorlie-Boulder: This historic gold-bearing belt, including the famous Super Pit, has yielded significant quantities of gold over the years. While the Super Pit itself may not be accessible for metal detecting due to modern mining operations, there are still plenty of areas within Kalgoorlie-Boulder and its outskirts where you can prospect. Focus on the old mine dumps, tailings, and areas with a history of gold production.
2. Coolgardie: Coolgardie and its surrounding areas, such as Fly Flat and Siberia, were among the first to experience the Western Australian gold rush. Many small historic mines and gold-bearing patches are scattered throughout the region. You can explore the old diggings, dry creek beds, and gullies with a metal detector.
3. Laverton: Laverton and its vicinity have been productive gold mining areas for decades. The region has a mix of old and modern mining operations, so be sure to follow local regulations and obtain any necessary permissions. Look for areas with known gold occurrences and check with local prospecting clubs for advice.
4. Leonora: Like Laverton, Leonora has a rich gold mining history and offers opportunities for metal detecting around old mining sites, abandoned shafts, and dry washes. Joining a local prospecting club can provide valuable insights into the best locations.
5. Menangina: This area, not far from Leonora, has historical gold workings, making it a potential spot for metal detecting. Always obtain landowner permission and adhere to local prospecting regulations.
6. Ora Banda: Located west of Kalgoorlie, Ora Banda has a history of gold mining, and remnants of old mining activity may still be present. Be sure to obtain landowner consent before prospecting in this area.
7. Kambalda: While Kambalda is known for nickel mining, it has also produced gold. Check historical records and maps for known gold occurrences and try your luck with a metal detector in these areas.
8. Gwalia: Gwalia, near Leonora, was home to the historic Gwalia Mine, which produced substantial amounts of gold. Explore the area around the old mine site and nearby gullies for potential finds.
Always research the specific regulations and requirements for metal detecting and prospecting in these areas, as rules may vary depending on land ownership and environmental considerations. Joining a local prospecting club or seeking advice from experienced prospectors can be invaluable in identifying promising locations and ensuring you’re following all the necessary rules and safety guidelines. Additionally, be respectful of private property and the environment while prospecting.